As a business owner, it's important to invest in a high-quality website that accurately represents your brand and effectively communicates your message to your target audience. Hiring a web designer and developer is a key part of this process, but it's important to do your due diligence and ask the right questions before making a decision.
Here are some questions you should ask before hiring a web designer and developer:
Can you provide examples of your work and case studies of previous clients?
It's important to see the designer's or developer's portfolio and get a sense of their style and capabilities. Asking for examples of the designer's or developer's work and case studies of previous clients is important for a few reasons:
- It allows you to see the designer's or developer's portfolio and get a sense of their style and capabilities. This can help you determine if their work aligns with your vision for the website and if they have experience in the type of project you are looking to have completed.
- It can provide insight into the designer's or developer's problem-solving skills and process. By looking at case studies of previous clients, you can see how the designer or developer approached challenges and delivered solutions.
- It can give you a sense of the designer's or developer's level of experience and the types of clients they have worked with in the past. This can help you gauge their expertise and suitability for your project.
Overall, reviewing the designer's or developer's portfolio and case studies can give you valuable information about their abilities and how they approach projects, which can help you make an informed decision about who to hire.
How do you approach the design process?
It's important to understand the designer's or developer's design philosophy and process to ensure that it aligns with your vision for the website. Understanding the designer's or developer's approach to the design process is important because it can give you insight into how they work and how they will approach your project. Specifically, asking about their design philosophy and process can help you determine if their approach aligns with your vision and goals for the website.
Some questions you might want to ask include:
- How do you gather information and requirements from clients?
- How do you prioritize design elements and features?
- How do you incorporate feedback and handle revisions?
- What design tools and software do you use?
- How do you ensure that the design is responsive and mobile-friendly?
By asking about the designer's or developer's design process, you can get a better understanding of their work style and how they will approach your project, which can help ensure a successful outcome.
How do you handle revisions and changes to the design?
It's important to have a clear understanding of the revision process and how the designer or developer handles changes to the design. This is important for a few reasons:
- It ensures that you have a clear idea of how to provide feedback and request changes to the design.
- It helps establish the expectations for the number of revisions that are included in the project scope and cost.
- It helps avoid misunderstandings or conflicts about the design process and how changes are implemented.
By having a clear understanding of the revision process, you can effectively communicate your needs and expectations to the designer or developer, which can help ensure that the final design meets your requirements.
Can you provide references from previous clients?
It's always a good idea to speak with the designer's or developer's previous clients to get a sense of their experience working with them. Asking for references from previous clients is a good idea because it allows you to get a sense of the designer's or developer's work from an unbiased perspective. Speaking with previous clients can provide valuable insight into their experience working with the designer or developer, including:
- The designer's or developer's communication style and availability
- The designer's or developer's reliability and punctuality
- The quality of the final product
- Any challenges or issues that arose during the project and how they were addressed
By speaking with previous clients, you can get a sense of the designer's or developer's work ethic and how they handle challenges, which can help you make an informed decision about who to hire.
What is your approach to SEO?
Search engine optimization (SEO) is an important factor in the success of a website, so it's important to ensure that the designer or developer you hire has a strong understanding of SEO best practices. SEO helps improve the visibility and ranking of a website in search engine results. When a website ranks higher in search engine results, it is more likely to attract organic traffic, which can lead to increased visibility, credibility, and revenue.
It's important to ensure that the designer or developer you hire has a strong understanding of SEO best practices because a poorly optimized website can have a negative impact on its visibility and ranking. Some questions you might want to ask about the designer's or developer's approach to SEO include:
- Do you have experience optimizing websites for search engines?
- What strategies do you use to optimize websites for search engines?
- How do you ensure that the website is mobile-friendly and follows best practices for mobile SEO?
- How do you handle keyword research and selection?
- How do you ensure that the website has a high level of usability and user experience?
By asking about the designer's or developer's approach to SEO, you can ensure that your website is optimized for search engines and has the best chance of ranking well in search engine results.
How do you handle website updates and maintenance?
It's important to have a plan in place for ongoing website updates and maintenance to ensure that the site remains up-to-date and functioning properly. Some reasons why website updates and maintenance are important include:
- Security: Regular updates can help fix security vulnerabilities and protect the website against attacks.
- Functionality: Updates can improve the functionality of the website and fix any issues that arise.
- User experience: Keeping the website up-to-date with fresh content and functionality can improve the user experience and keep visitors engaged.
- Search engine ranking: Regular updates can help improve the visibility and ranking of the website in search engine results.
By asking the designer or developer about their approach to website updates and maintenance, you can ensure that the website stays current and secure over time. This can help protect your investment in the website and ensure that it continues to effectively serve your business needs.
What is your process for ensuring website security?
With cyber threats on the rise, it's crucial to have a website that is secure and protected against attacks. Make sure the designer or developer has a solid plan in place for ensuring website security. cyber threats are on the rise and a website that is not properly secured can be vulnerable to attacks. Some consequences of a security breach can include:
- Loss of sensitive data: If the website stores personal or financial information, a security breach could result in the loss of this data.
- Loss of revenue: If the website is used for e-commerce, a security breach could result in the loss of revenue.
- Damage to reputation: A security breach can damage the reputation of the website and the business, leading to a loss of customer trust.
It's important to ensure that the designer or developer you hire has a solid plan in place for ensuring website security. Some questions you might want to ask about website security include:
- What measures do you take to ensure the website is secure?
- How do you handle security updates and patches?
- Do you offer any security-related services or support?
By asking about the designer's or developer's approach to website security, you can ensure that the website is protected against potential threats.
How do you handle website hosting and domain management?
It's important to understand who will be responsible for hosting the website and managing the domain, as well as the associated costs. Some things to consider when it comes to website hosting and domain management include:
- Hosting options: There are various hosting options available, including shared hosting, dedicated hosting, and cloud hosting. It's important to understand the differences between these options and choose the one that is most suitable for your needs.
- Domain management: The domain is the web address that visitors use to access the website. It's important to ensure that the domain is properly registered and managed to avoid any issues with access to the website.
- Costs: Website hosting and domain management can involve ongoing costs, so it's important to understand what these costs will be and how they will be billed.
By asking about the designer's or developer's approach to website hosting and domain management, you can ensure that these aspects of the website are properly taken care of and that you have a clear understanding of the associated costs.
What is your availability and communication style?
It's important to have open and clear communication with the designer or developer throughout the project, so make sure to ask about their availability and preferred method of communication. Some things to consider when it comes to availability and communication include:
- Availability: It's important to know when the designer or developer is available to communicate and work on the project, as well as their time zone and working hours.
- Communication style: Different people have different communication preferences, so it's important to understand the designer's or developer's preferred method of communication and whether they prefer email, phone, video calls, or some other form of communication.
- Frequency of communication: It's also important to understand how often the designer or developer will communicate progress updates and what information will be included in these updates.
By asking about availability and communication style, you can ensure that you have open and clear lines of communication with the designer or developer, which can help the project run smoothly and efficiently.
What design platform do you use?
This is my favorite question because it can often catch them off guard. Most designers or developers I've run into go straight to WordPress, Wix, Squarespace, etc. and develop immediately or grab a template off the store for around $20 and don't think about the visitor or the company they're building a website for. Having a design platform and a tool they use shows:
- They think about the needs of your business beforehand
- They plan out and understand what's going into the website
- They won't be skimping on you and just filling out your information on a random template they found
Ask this question to see if they're vastly overcharging you for a website.
Asking these questions can help ensure that you find the right web designer and developer for your project, and set the foundation for a successful working relationship.